Before you submit something for this page (which is quite welcome), please read the guidelines at the bottom. I am the final judge of what does or doesn't make it on this page. For your convenience, this page is divided into categories.
- black (17) vs. white (64)
- boy (35) vs. girl (31)
- day (87) vs. night (76) [Marcus]
- dog (27) vs. cat (6) [Marcus; dogs still win if you discard the "Dog Eat Dog" lyrics]
- dark (8) vs. light (8) [Marcus]
- fire (12) vs. water (14) [Marcus]
- land (9) vs. sea (2) [Marcus]
- love (121) vs. hate (14)
- man (58) vs. woman (10) [Marcus]
- more (89) vs. less (1) [Marcus]
- war (2) vs. peace (0)
- yes (45) vs. no (243) [Bill K.] (yeah - 155)
- young (17) vs. old (31)
Should we conclude from this that Al is a prejudiced, patricarchal-supporting, diurnal, dog-loving, landlubbing, romantic, possession-obsessed, war-mongering, disagreeable, senior citizen? Probably not.
Words Appearing in 27 Songs
- watch [Willie]
- head [Stephen S., submitted prior to the release of Straight Outta Lynwood]
Words Appearing 27 Times in One Song
Only songs without ending fade-outs are included.
- he ("Pretty Fly for a Rabbi")
- my ("Confessions Part III") [SE]
- of ("Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota", "Albuquerque")
- the ("Polka Your Eyes Out")
- your ("Virus Alert") [Adam]
Please make sure any submissions are genuinely interesting. Some examples:
- A word that occurs exactly the same number of times on each of Al's albums.
- The only 27s counted will be a word that occurs 27 times in a single song or in 27 songs. If your 27 isn't straightforward, save it for The 27 List. (See Links.)
- Clear and common opposites. While there are other words with the same meanings, "love" and "hate" are pretty basic. "Neat" and "messy" aren't quite as clear cut a pair. (There's also "tidy," "cluttered," etc.)
- Opposites will be limited to words that almost exclusively are opposites. For example, although "on" (380+) vs. "off" (70+) is interesting, "on" has other meanings that account for most of the discrepancy.
- Beware of songs that end on a fade. For example, Yoda currently returns a total of 27 results, but as it fades with a chorus featuring that word, it doesn't count because of the ambiguity.
Okay, if you read all that, now you can e-mail me your submission(s)!